Current status of kernel modules

Kelly lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 20:22:17 CEST 2007

On Sunday, October 14, 2007 1:53:42 pm Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 14.10.2007 18:40, Stewart Adam wrote:
> > What are your comments, ideas or opinions about packaging kernel
> > modules? Fedora has technically banned them AFAIK, but that won't go
> > well for the proprietary drivers... Should we have both kmod and dkms
> > available, or maybe something else?
>
> Some notes from my side:
>
> * I'm fine with either using both kmods and dkms for all modules or
> banning modules for the start completely and leaving them in freshrpms
> and livna for now. The latter is *iirc* what thias suggested last time
> we talked about it
>
> * "or maybe something else" -- I have some stuff here on my machine that
> can dynamically rebuild and install kmod.src.rpms. But well, it's not
> ready for primetime yet. Other work (mainly for rpmfusion) kept me away
> from it :-/
>
> Cu
> knurd

I would say DKMS is the better way to go, because it's literally "fire and
forget" - using KMOD would require updating the modules every time the kernel
is updated.  Livna's past history in this regard tends to show why this is a
bad approach (it wasn't unusual for me to update the kernel, only to find
that the modules hadn't been updated).