[Fwd: Build Error (Job 441): xine-0_99_5-2_fc8 on fedora-8-rpmfusion_free]

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Aug 19 12:53:58 CEST 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi!
>
> There is a build issue with xine on F8; the same problem will afaics
> show up in mythtv for F8(¹). Does anybody have a few spare cycles and is
> willing to look into this? I'm not sure if it's a general yum/mock
> problem, something specific to our builders or something wrong in the
> Fedora repos.
>
> I tend to say "builders", as it doesn't happen on ppc (which uses Fedora
> as host for the builder; the x86 builders use centos):
> http://buildsys.rpmfusion.org/logs/fedora-8-rpmfusion_free/441-xine-0.99.5-2.fc8/ppc/root.log

<snip>

> Transaction Check Error:
>   file /usr/lib/liblirc_client.so.0.2.0 conflicts between attempted installs of lirc-0.8.2-2.fc8 and lirc-libs-0.8.3-1.fc8

I believe this is due to a rather old yum on the buildsys. Between F-8 release
and F-8 updates lirc was split in to lirc and lirc-libs. xine BuildRequires
lirc-devel, which requires /usr/lib/liblirc_client.so.0.2.0, the old yum on the
builder has the old behavior when multiple packages provide a missing dep, to
install all providing packages, so in this case both lirc-0.8.2-2.fc8 (from F-8
release) and lirc-libs-0.8.3-1.fc8 (from F-8 updates) it should of course never
install an older lirc when a newer is available in updates (which does not
contain the lib) but it does.

Possible work arounds:

1: Add a BuildRequires on lirc-libs hoping it gets into the transaction before
the lirc-devel BuildRequires so that yum doesn't go looking for
/usr/lib/liblirc_client.so.0.2.0 as that is already there.

2: Add a BuildRequires on lirc, so that the newest lirc becomes part of the
transaction, this does not depend on dep resolv orderering (I hope) so is
probably the better workaorund.

Regards,

Hans