rpmfusion based spin

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Fri Aug 29 02:49:47 CEST 2008

Andreas Thienemann wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>
>> Just curious, how would the genuine Fedora DVD or CD set know about the
>> extra media during the installation? Of course additional media is
>> useful *after* the initial installation where people can point a repo to
>> the media:// url, possibly that .repo file could even be included in the
>> rpmfusion-release package.
>
> It wouldn't, if I'm reading this correctly.

You're right, I'm unable to think of a way that would currently work. It
could be done, but it'd reintroduce the "Do you want to use any
additional media (...)" dialog in anaconda and would only appear *after*
the initial installation is done already.

> You install your fedora whatever, pop the matching livna cd into the
> drive, autostart crap does it's thing and some gtk frontend comes up,
> showing a nice little animal saying "It seems you want to install some
> additional 3rd party software. Do you want mp3, dvd or divx support? Or do
> you want your nvidia card to work?".

Instead, I'd just recreate the Fedora released media to include the
RPMFusion Free/Non-Free additional repositories (with a product.img) and
be done with it (of course, rebrand the lot).

> If the livna-assistant sounds overblown, a small gtk installer might do
> it's thing as well, could even be scripted with the
> dialog-de-jour-pour-x11 or whatever it's called today. Timidity or so was
> it the last time I looked.

Really, if a GUI is going to pop up on inserting some media with
software, PackageKit should be the one taking it on.

> Personally speaking:_WHY_ we'd need such a cd however is beyond me, I
> haven't touched a CD or DVD in years. PXE does that to you....

It's a good thing everyone has PXE at home these days ;-)

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip