libdvdcss,again

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Dec 13 14:29:13 CET 2008

On 13.12.2008 14:08, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> 2008/12/13, Andrea Musuruane <musuruan at gmail.com>:
>>  BTW, I've always been a fan of who-does-much-of-the-work is more equal
>>  than the others and who-has-the-legal-risk has the right to choose.
> So all we need is to change rpmfusion heads to those who live in more
> freedom countries, right?

Nope, as some contributors will leave then as well. Livna for example
lost one major contributor (I'd say for some time in 2004 - 2006/2007 he
might have been one of two most important Livna contributors) due to
libdvdcss. I know of others that would considered to leave if RPM Fusion
starts to distribute libdvdcss.

And trust in the infrastructure is something very important as well --
that's for example why RPM Fusion does only accept builders that trusted
people run. I know people in non-US or -EU countries I'd trust, but
those might not be the ones that want to take care of a whole 3rd party
repo like RPM Fusion.

> If someone thinks that he may be under legal attack, maybe he should
> to leave the administration (not the contribution and development) of
> rpmfusion.

Which then could result in a repo that can't serve the users needs, as
it lacks people that work on packages.

>>  > So, finally, what benefits rpmfusion provides over Livna? I see only
>>  > disadvantages (cannot include software, which someone claims illegal
>>  > in some particular country).
>
>> Hmm.... let me think...
>>  RPM Fusion is a community, it has much more developers than Livna, it
>>  has merged two other repositories, it has an open infrastructure, it
>>  has much more packages than Livna.
>
> That's not a  benefits (developers may easily switch back to work with
> Livna, other repo may be merged with Livna as well, and so on).

Livna is dead -- the infra to maintain a big repo is afaik broken beyond
repair.

> BTW "more open infrastructure" means using cvs instead of svn? :)

Can't speak for Andrea, but CVS made a lot of things easier when
compared to Livna, as contributors are used to it from Fedora and
scripts and infra from Fedora can be reused.

Cu