kmodtool upstream

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Jan 31 16:16:52 CET 2008

On Thu January 31 2008, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 31.01.2008 14:15, Till Maas wrote:

> > And in which repository should it be?
>
> free.rpmfusion.org likely, as it's used to build free modules as well

Is there a repo available already? There is no webserver on port 80 available
on this host.

> > And why is it not in Fedora (I cannot find it in Fedora
>
> It was in Fedora -- can't remember where, but it was used to build kmods
> in Fedora, so it must have been somewhere (in the rpm macros package?).

In Fedora one was forced to use a copy of it in the srpm/cvs branch, there was
no package containing it.

> But when Fedora kicked separately packages kernel modules I started to
> develop it further in livna -- it made no sense to develop a Livna
> only-solution in Fedora and just complicates things.

Imho developing it in Fedora cvs was not good. Can you maybe use fedorahosted
to develop it? Or host it on somehow else, which makes sure where to get it,
how to report bugs and send patches?

Nevertheless I cannot see how adding it as a package to Fedora instead of
rpmfusion would make it more complicate. For users of kmodtool, it would be a
lot easier. Also I understand the founding priciples[1] in a way, that
rpmfusion does not contain packages, that could be in Fedora instead. And the
dkms infrastructure is also in Fedora.

Regards,
Till

[1] http://rpmfusion.org/FoundingPrinciples