kmodtool upstream

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Jan 31 19:43:30 CET 2008

On 31.01.2008 19:07, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 18:15 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
>> On Thu January 31 2008, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>>> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 17:48 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
>>> I seem to recall that you can yum install kmodtool from livna. Yep,
>>> there it is...
>>> http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/development/SRPMS/kmodtool-1-7.lvn9
>>> .src.rpm
>> Ah, it is not available for Fedora 7 there, but the machine I am currently
>> using runs Fedora 7. But this seems not to be the version that is mentioned
>> in http://rpmfusion.org/Packaging/KernelModules/Kmods2
>> because there it is written about version 2.x.
> Ah yes, I think kmod 2 was going to have dkms-alike support, iirc, but I
> dunno where to get that...

Well, to be precise: I started to work on kmod improvements to make live
for repo-maintainers and contributers easier in the first place. That
included things like: removing the hardcoded kernel-version in the spec
file, make it possible to build for different kernel-version in one go
(as Fedora xen-kernels have a different version than the main kernel),
make is possible to support older kernels in parallel to the up2date
ones better and make it easier to build for non-fedora-kernels.

That was realized with the kmod2 stuff livna started to use for F8. Then
all that was needed for dkms-like support was a kmod.srpm in a known
place and a script that rebuilds it during bootup using rpmbuild if
needed. During December I finally sat down and wrote it (I actually
started to work on it when I wanted to work on the rpmfusion infra but
the xen instances were down again). The whole concept is called akmods
and can be tested in livna developement (aka livna for rawhide). I
didn't announce it properly yet -- lack of time and akmods likely still
needs some improvements bugfixes. But it seems to work, as I got one
report already that a akmod (a rpm that contains a kmod.srpm) doesn't
build in rawhide.

Cu
knurd

Cu