PLEASE read: Preparations and proposed procedure for importing livna packages to RPM Fusion

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Jul 21 08:38:50 CEST 2008

Hi All,

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Heads up: Please read this (lengthy) mail completely if you are a Livna
> contributor -- especially if you or get this mail directly from me a
> second time (¹)! It contains a whole lot of important informations for
> you and the future of your Livna packages in RPM Fusion (
> http://rpmfusion.org )!

First of all a big big thanks to all involved in getting FAS / CVS and the
buildsys up to this point. Its really awesome that we are now at a point where
rpmfusion can finally take off!

> I likely did a few mistakes here and there, thus *please* check your
> packages carefully. Especially:

Done, everything looks ok. One omission though, the amnrb and amwrb packages
which I did some weeks ago (and still need to import to livna) are missing,
both are mine and should go to non-free.

> == Actual import ==
>
> I suppose I'll take weeks until everything gets imported if we leave
> importing to the individual packager maintainers. The dependencies for
> some of the packages in attached lists are also quite heavy and
> complicated; thus it'll take some more weeks until everything gets build
> in the proper order :-/ That why I offer to help with importing and
> initial builds to speed everything up a bit.
>
> So if you want me to do the hard work just let me know; then I'll import
> your livna package to RPM Fusion and do the initial build once all deps
> are available. Note that I can do that only for those packages where
> it's easily done without knowing the package to much; e.g. the spec
> files in all branches must be the same and no addition work (renames
> from nonfree -> freeworld) should be required.

AFAIK all my packages either depend only on Fedora stuff, or are at the end of
the dep-chain. Feel free to build any as you need them, but I'll try to take
care of them mostly myself.

> If it's fine for everyone I'd even like to import the "easy" packages
> (see about) from other livna maintainer if they didn't do that within
> one week after the branches got created to speed things up; but that's
> just a option I only consider right now; we can discuss it once we know
> how fast and proper things are moving forward.

Thats fine by me.

> = What's still missing  -- or -- problematic packages =
>
>  * the following Livna package have no owner in RPM Fusion; but the
> packages are required, as other Livna/RPM Fusion packages depend on them:
>
> Fedora|mjpegtools|Tools to manipulate MPEG data|???||
> -> needed by dvdstyler, gstreamer-plugins-bad, mythtv, transcode

Erm, wasn't a split off version of this recently submitted to either one of the
mailinglists or one of the bugzilla's ? I distinctly remember reading some mail
about this being split into mjpeg-lib and mjpegtools or something like that.

The ABI / API of the lib didn't change.

>    Most of our add-one packages that might use patent encumbered
> techniques (like libtunepimp-extras-freeworld,
> audacious-plugins-freeworld, qmmp-plugins-nonfree or
> xine-lib-extras-freeworld) use or will use term freeworld in the name;
> should we do the same for akode-extras as well and call it
> Akode-extras-freeworld in the future?

+1

>  * Are these still needed/wanted?
>
> Fedora|unrar|Utility for extracting, testing and viewing RAR archives|

We definitely want to keep unrar around, just yesterday I needed it to be able
to read a pdf manual of a motherboard (offtopic, wtf a .pdf in a rar for public
docs, are they sick??). I can take this if no-one else will.

> Fedora|audacity-nonfree|Extremely fast library for floating-point
> convolution|??? mschwendt maybe ???||

I think the description is wrong here, if no-one wants this I can take it but
my plate is pretty full already/

<snip>

> Fedora|unrar|Utility for extracting, testing and viewing RAR archives|
> -- none -- ||
>

>  * the following Livna package remain in Livna until we agreed on what
> to do with Kernel modules in RPM Fusion:
>
> kmods and their matching userland packages: em8300, fglrx, gscpa,
> iscsitarget, kqemu, madwifi, ndiswrapper, nvidia{,96xx,legacy} (there
> are also plans to rename those three), qc, slmodem (broken anyway right
> now), nvidia-settings, nvidia-xconfig

I think we should just use what we have in livna as default, and keep the
freshrpms dkms packages around for those modules which aren't also in livna.
Now that we have akmods, there is little advantage in also having dkms.

Also since Matthias is always very vry busy, I have the feeling that the kmods
in livna are better maintained.

>  * Unkown status (I'll try to ping andreas):
>
> Fedora|scummvm|Implementation of the SCUMM
> engine|andreas.bierfert at lowlatency.de||
> Fedora|scummvm-tools|Tools for scummVM / S.C.U.M.M scripting
> language|andreas.bierfert at lowlatency.de||

scummvm has moved to Fedora.

Talking about moving to Fedora, I saw SDL_sound is on the list of packages to
create in CVS, that is not necessary that one has moved to Fedora too.

Regards,

Hans