Hosting the live cd

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 10:37:14 CEST 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> And exactly that "I" in "went ahead with a name I picked" IMHO is
> totally unacceptable in a *community* project
I can't force people to give me feedback. I did ask for suggestions
before picking one. I did post the kickstart file as well for people to
give input on the content and got zero feedback. Since you seem to be in
agreement for the general idea of letting people doing the work making
the decisions, in this case, that would be me.  I don't really see the
name choices as a big deal. I got work done and there was many things
fixed for the benefit of everybody.  Again, feel free to suggest
alternative names (if there are strong opinions on that) or any content
changes. I have carefully considered all the comments on those. If there
is general consensus on anything such as not making even small
configuration changes, I have went along with that.

> Which of the two wins depends on the answers to question that were in
> the mail you replied to. But you for some reasons avoided to answer
> them. So here it is again:
>
>>> One other important thing that was not discussed properly iirc: Do
>>> we want one or two official spins? I'd say (at least in the long
>>> term) two: one with only free packages and one that also includes
>>> nonfree packages
The reason why I picked a different name (I have mentioned this in the
list before) is because longer names as RPMFusion - free repository spin
is unlikely to catch on. You really need something short and unique.  I
skipped the other question before because I didn't realize this question
was directed at me and assumed you were asking for general opinion from
others. I am personally uninterested in working on even more variants.
It takes a lot of time to compose and test packages especially when it
has to be done against a moving target like rawhide especially since I
am following the Fedora release schedule aggressively - beta, snapshots
et all.  More importantly, the only common things people want from the
non-free repository would be kernel drivers which are hardware specific
and cannot be bundled together or installed by default (no package
selection possible in live cd) without running into legal as well as
technical issues.

Distributions which tried to do that in the past have backed off for
good reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kororaa#Kororaa_XGL_Live_CD_and_the_GPL
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-7-04-Will-Not-Include-Proprietary-Video-Drivers-47055.shtml

(The second article is about default configuration. Not what is
available in the repository)

As I mentioned here before, the right solution IMO would be to use
something like Jockey (https://launchpad.net/jockey).  It is a better
because it is opt-in and generic, lets the user pick and avoids the
issues mentioned above. If it works well, it should be part of the
rpmfusion repository and installed by default in Omega potentially.  Is
anyone willing to look into that?

Rahul