Hosting the live cd

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 12:29:44 CEST 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> But the most well known linux distribution that gets a lot of public
> attention gets away with it, so with similar tricks it might be
> possible for us as well. But that would need closer evaluation and is
> a complicated different topic we should ignore for now.
No distribution ships proprietary drivers bundled and linked by default
(like a live cd would) to the best of my knowledge. If you let the user
make the final step, then it is different.  I am not sure which
distribution you are referring to here.  I suspect you are talking about
Ubuntu. In that case, you should look more closely at what they are
doing. I don't want to play dirty tricks on a already troublesome legal
grey area even if we can get away with it.
> Anyway, we should stop this discussion and do something productive.
Sounds like a good idea to me :-)

> So here are my suggestions:
>
> (a) use "RPM Fusion" and prefix for all official spins (Just like
> Fedora project uses the name Fedora for its spins) ; a "RPM Fusion
> Spin" (using the kickstart file from omega as base) will be the first
> and official spin that has both the free and nonfree repos enabled;
> this naming scheme leaves room for other spins under the hood of RPM
> Fusion:
>
>  * "RPM Fusion Free" (only free; nonfree repo not even enabled);
>
>  * "RPM Fusion Games" (games from Fedora, RPM Fusion free/nonfree)
>
>  * "RPM Fusion foo" (whatever people want to do)
>
> (b) just like "(a)", but only that we use "Omega" as the name for the
> "official spin"; all others use "RPM Fusion" and prefix
>
> (c) Just like "(a)", but use Omega as prefix everywhere
>
> (d) your suggestion here
I don't think using the "spin" naming convention is a good idea for
trademark reasons.  The new trademark guidelines for Fedora proposed at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/NewTrademarkGuidelines

differentiates between a spin and a remix.  If you believe, that other
variants are going to be made available and they need to be in the same
space (separate sub domains are a possibility), instead of a omega
subdomain, you could setup a remix subdomain instead.   RPMFusion is
going to be providing packages for EL distributions as well.  Someone
might have an interest in creating a remix around that.  So to be
specific, you will get a name like - RPMFusion spin - free repository
for Fedora  (GNOME edition) or something like that which tends to be
clumsy.  I am also in favour of associating Omega with the Fedora brand
since it is the primary project after all. So in the future, we can do
something like

* Omega - Fedora multimedia remix

The proposed more liberal rules around the secondary mark for Fedora
remixes which I am keeping a close eye on will likely allow this
possibility.  This is the reason I suggested the word "remix" in the
conversation which has been accepted by Red Hat Legal.  It seems we are
close to getting the above guidelines finalized - certainly before the
Fedora 10 GA release.  I will apply for approval if necessary and go
through the due process to get this done.

Rahul