Hosting the live cd

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Oct 12 13:19:06 CEST 2008

On 12.10.2008 12:29, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> But the most well known linux distribution that gets a lot of public
>> attention gets away with it, so with similar tricks it might be
>> possible for us as well. But that would need closer evaluation and is
>> a complicated different topic we should ignore for now.
> No distribution ships proprietary drivers bundled and linked by default
 > [...]

I know; but as I said: it's a complicated different topic we should
ignore for now.

>> So here are my suggestions:
>>
>> (a) use "RPM Fusion" and prefix for all official spins (Just like
>> Fedora project uses the name Fedora for its spins) ; a "RPM Fusion
>> Spin" (using the kickstart file from omega as base) will be the first
>> and official spin that has both the free and nonfree repos enabled;
>> this naming scheme leaves room for other spins under the hood of RPM
>> Fusion:
>>
>>  * "RPM Fusion Free" (only free; nonfree repo not even enabled);
>>
>>  * "RPM Fusion Games" (games from Fedora, RPM Fusion free/nonfree)
>>
>>  * "RPM Fusion foo" (whatever people want to do)
>>
>> (b) just like "(a)", but only that we use "Omega" as the name for the
>> "official spin"; all others use "RPM Fusion" and prefix
>>
>> (c) Just like "(a)", but use Omega as prefix everywhere
>>
>> (d) your suggestion here
 >
> I don't think using the "spin" naming convention is a good idea for
> trademark reasons.

I doubt that "spins" can be protected, as it's afaics a generic word.

> The new trademark guidelines for Fedora proposed at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/NewTrademarkGuidelines
> differentiates between a spin and a remix.

That is just the definition for that document afaics ("Hereinafter,
"Spin" refers to a combination on[...]"). Sure, we could consider
following that terminology. But "RPM Fusion Games Spin (a Fedora remix)"
  IMHO is a nice description with term people are used to. But maybe we
should just ask Paul or FAB for options.

>  If you believe, that other
> variants are going to be made available and they need to be in the same
> space (separate sub domains are a possibility),  instead of a omega
> subdomain, you could setup a remix subdomain instead.

Not sure if that's wroth setting up an additional domain; the main spins
from Fedora are also just served in the usual repo path (
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/ for example doesn't contain the Live or
KDE spin). I'd say RPM Fusion should follow that example.

>   RPMFusion is
> going to be providing packages for EL distributions as well.  Someone
> might have an interest in creating a remix around that.  So to be
> specific, you will get a name like - RPMFusion spin - free repository
> for Fedora  (GNOME edition) or something like that which tends to be
> clumsy.

Leave some words out, rearrange some other and you have a nice name that
properly describes what it is and where it comes from:

RPM Fusion GNOME Spin

or

RPM Fusion GNOME Spin (Fedora reminx)

 > [...]
> The proposed more liberal rules around the secondary mark for Fedora
> remixes which I am keeping a close eye on will likely allow this
> possibility.  This is the reason I suggested the word "remix" in the
> conversation which has been accepted by Red Hat Legal.  It seems we are
> close to getting the above guidelines finalized - certainly before the
> Fedora 10 GA release.  I will apply for approval if necessary and go
> through the due process to get this done.

Many thanks for your work in that area!

Cu