First steps of the transition from Livna to RPM Fusion begins now for livna-devel users!

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Thu Oct 16 16:20:52 CEST 2008

Christopher Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu
> <mailto:rdieter at math.unl.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Karel Volný wrote:
>
>         hi,
>
>                  * having libdvdcvs in one of our repos could lead to
>                 projects or cooperation's not to mention or link to us.
>                 That's not limited to Fedora or Red Hat; also some
>                 journalists and howto-writers will also chose to *not*
>                 mention RPM Fusion and thus not link to us, as it might be
>                 to dangerous in some countries
>
>             I can just endorse that...
>
>             For me as an author of a German Fedora blog, I am always
>             having mixed emotions about Livna. On the one hand, it's
>             undoubtedly an important repository for Fedora. On the other
>             hand, I am not allowed to mention it because this could
>             indirectly be illegal advertising for a copy protection
>             remover, which can be punished with up to one year of prison
>             in Germany. I know that other German Fedora authors are
>             thinking the same about that. Livna is "that certain
>             repository" with sweet content, but also with a bad smell.

>         this is a really bad attitude, and I'm sad to hear that from you :-(
>         basically, you have two options: the gutless way or the brave way
>

>     Someone has a bad attitude alright...
>     No, he has one option: staying legal.  Get real.
>
>     -- Rex
>

> Oh yes, Rex, you are so right.  When a corrupt over-reaching
> all-powerful government makes bad laws we should all just bend over
> backwards and take it.
>
> Get Real, Get Brave, Get Guns and Revolt.  I'm willing to bet we will
> have a revolution within a short time here in America.  It's either
> that, or we will all end up as slaves and surfs due to the fiat currency
> central-banking debt-based monetary system which most of ignorantly take
> a part of.

Just to add a bit more balance, I think both point of views are
valuable. Indeed, it's against the law to distribute libdvdcss in some
countries and I believe it's perfectly fair not to have RPMfusion
distribute it. The purpose of RPMFusion is not to fight against bad
laws, but to distribute legal software that cannot be distributed by
Fedora itself for one reason or another. It is also perfectly fair to
fight against those dubious laws and I 100% agree with you on this
front. RPMFusion is just not the place to do that, it would be too bad
to loose contributors or worst, spoil all the efforts that were needed
to build RPMFusion. Thorsten spoke about yet another place to fetch
libdvdcss from, so let's have the people willing to endorse that do it,
but RPMFusion should stay away from this.

Just my 0.02€...

Regards,
Xavier