When to move updates from testing to stable

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 16:12:35 CET 2008

2008/10/30 Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:19:57 +0100, KH KH wrote:
>
>> I was suggesting to duplicate the buildsys (cvs builroot etc) to
>> another repository as described here:
>> http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2008-October/001507.html
>> That's not a problem with following Fedora rules, but covering the users needs.
>>

> Duplicating sounds like forking to me. Forking the project at several
> points.
This wording sounds like mixing the discution and decision, as nobody
here wants to fork.
At least a more correct wording would be "extending capabilities."

But I can understand that somehow, having a replacement packages
repository for some special cases still reminds bad times for certains
old ears.

> I think the target group is not large enough for that. And the developer
> community is not large enough either. Building experimental upgrades for
> another repo could require other pkgs to be upgraded, too, which occupies
> resources, only to find that the test environment is different from
> Rawhide (because Fedora uses a different release process).
Thx for this, this is the first rational argument I've received from
the list about the subject.
Now that's totally possible not to have this repository, but we should
be aware that some case thus cannot be supported within rpmfusion.
That will be a repository design problem . (example the nvidia beta
drivers at least for legacies, but there are others cases).