kernel modules in RPM Fusion; we need a decision (was: Re: nvidia kmods for EL-5)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Sep 1 21:51:00 CEST 2008

On 01.09.2008 18:12, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> What's the status of kmods in rpmfusion?

No decision yet. But we should find one soon to finally get everything
from livna into RPM Fusion -- then we can move users over and IMHO
consider to finally announce RPM Fusion once we had some users testing
everything. Freshrpms packages would need to be integrated before that
as well.

My (obvious) vote and option: kmods and akmods afaics provides all we
and the users need. We could get dkms into the mix but that would just
provide a similar functionally as akmods with the disadvantage that a
second spec file/compile path would need to be maintained and tested --
that would mean a whole lot more work with afaics no real benefit.

> I'm going to need nvida binary
> blobs packaged for EL-5 very soon. I'll try to package them myself if
> need be, but I'd really prefer an EL-5 branch of current driver packages.

Kmods for EL-5 will be a bit more complicated -- we of course could just
use the F9 scheme with small modifications, but the EL-5 kernel provides
a stable ABI. Would be nice to use that, as that would avoid that we
have to rebuild the kmod for each new EL kernel. That will require some
small adjustments to the kmodtool from livna -- shouldn't be to hard
(and is done by one of the Livna for EL repos already), but might
require a bit of work to be done right.