kernel modules in RPM Fusion; we need a decision

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Mon Sep 1 22:13:58 CEST 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> My (obvious) vote and option: kmods and akmods afaics provides all we
> and the users need. We could get dkms into the mix but that would just
> provide a similar functionally as akmods with the disadvantage that a
> second spec file/compile path would need to be maintained and tested --
> that would mean a whole lot more work with afaics no real benefit.

How do akmods work ? Do you have to intsall both kmod and akmod ? Also,
is akmod really a 0 maintainance solution like dkms ? Finally, dkms is
particularly simple to package. Is akmod documentation comparable to
that of dkms ?

To me, kmod can only be acceptable if AND ONLY IF the rebuild of the
kmod packages is automated based on a RSS feed coming from Koji or Bodhi
of some sort. i.e. guarantee a zero-time dependency break from kernel
updates.