kernel modules in RPM Fusion; we need a decision (was: Re: nvidia kmods for EL-5)

Nikolay Ulyanitsky lystor at lystor.org.ua
Wed Sep 10 19:32:09 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 21:51 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Kmods for EL-5 will be a bit more complicated -- we of course could just
> use the F9 scheme with small modifications, but the EL-5 kernel provides
> a stable ABI.

I think one of the best solution is:
a) Use RHEL kmod schema for RPMFusion for EL:
   1) kmods rebuilded only if kabi changes.
   2) Packagers not needed to rebuild kmods for each kernel update.
   3) Users not needed to download/compile/update kmods after kernel
updates.

For example: kmods builded on CentOS 5.0 may be installed on RHEL 5.2
and vise versa if kabi was not changed.

b) Use Livna akmod/kmod schema for RPMFusion for F-*

Some examples of packages builded with RHEL kmod schema:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/*-kmod-*.src.rpm
http://repo.redhat-club.org/redhat/5/SRPMS/nvidia-kmod-173.14.12-el5.rhc.1.src.rpm
http://repo.redhat-club.org/redhat/5/SRPMS/saa7134-kmod-0.2.14-el5.rhc.1.src.rpm
http://repo.redhat-club.org/redhat/5/SRPMS/ipw3945-kmod-1.2.2-el5.rhc.1.src.rpm

Some information on RHEL kmod schema: