Spectrum ROMs in RPM Fusion

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jul 25 21:02:28 CEST 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-25 at 17:45 +0200, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I'm going to submit FBZX, a Spectrum emulator, for review in Fedora.
>
> Fedora allows the packaging of Spectrum emulators but it doesn't allow
> Spectrum ROMs, even though they are distributable. Therefore I'll have
> to remove the ROMs from the tarball as it is currently done by
> fuse-emulator.
>
> Since there is just one Spectrum emulator in Fedora, the required ROMs
> are currently shipped in RPM Fusion by the package fuse-emulator-roms.
>
> My idea is to make a package called spectrum-roms and submit it for
> inclusion in RPM Fusion. All packaged Spectrum emulators will have to
> be patched to find the required ROMs under /usr/share/spectrum-roms/
> and should have a README.Fedora file that should forward the user to
> RPM Fusion to install spectrum-roms. Probably it will also be a good
> idea to document this on RPM Fusion wiki.

I don't think you can mention RPMFusion in a README.Fedora, that is
probably against policy. You can put a general note that one must get
the ROMs from someplace and place them in /usr/share/spectrum-roms/
though.

An another question is which package should own the aforementioned
directory; it might be best to make all Spectrum emulators own it.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org