Spectrum ROMs in RPM Fusion

Andrea Musuruane musuruan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 17:45:47 CEST 2009

Hi all,
    I'm going to submit FBZX, a Spectrum emulator, for review in Fedora.

Fedora allows the packaging of Spectrum emulators but it doesn't allow
Spectrum ROMs, even though they are distributable. Therefore I'll have
to remove the ROMs from the tarball as it is currently done by
fuse-emulator.

Since there is just one Spectrum emulator in Fedora, the required ROMs
are currently shipped in RPM Fusion by the package fuse-emulator-roms.

My idea is to make a package called spectrum-roms and submit it for
inclusion in RPM Fusion. All packaged Spectrum emulators will have to
be patched to find the required ROMs under /usr/share/spectrum-roms/
and should have a README.Fedora file that should forward the user to
RPM Fusion to install spectrum-roms. Probably it will also be a good
idea to document this on RPM Fusion wiki.

I'm going to use the same upstream Debian uses. Both Debian package
and upstream are maintained by Colin Watson who is in CC.

http://packages.debian.org/sid/spectrum-roms
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~cjwatson/code/spectrum-roms/

Lucian, as the maintainer of fuse-emulator, can you please check if
all the ROMs it requires are currently shipped by upstream
"spectrum-roms"?

Please let me know your thought about this plan.

Thanks.

Bye,

Andrea.