Avidemux PPC build errors (was Re: avidemux 2.5 & plugins - comments/ideas?)

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 11:45:08 CEST 2009

2009/7/31 Stewart Adam <maillist at diffingo.com>:
> On 2009/07/28 12:05 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Stewart Adam wrote:
>>
>> I would contact upstream and ask if they are planning to release any
>> of the plugins separately in the future. If the plugins will always be
>> distributed inside the main tarball, then it makes sense to proceed
>> with option 1.
>>
>> Orcan
>
> I've made attempts to contact upstream multiple times (IRC, forums,
> bugtracker) and none have worked so at this point I've given up on trying to
> get in touch with the avidemux developers.
>
> It looks like they're not going to release plugins individually so I've
> closed the plugins package review, but if some very popular plugins are
> released from a 3rd party or if a plugins tarball is released upstream then
> I'll reopen the bug for a review.
>
> Anyways, avidemux 2.5 still fails to build properly on ppc and I don't have
> any knowledge of how altivec works (nor a PPC machine to test on)... Full
> build logs are here [1], but this is the error causing all the problems
> since 2.4.4:
> /builddir/build/BUILD/avidemux_2.5.0/avidemux/ADM_libraries/ADM_libmpeg2enc/altivec/build_sub22_mests.c:540:
> error: incompatible types when assigning to type '__vector unsigned int'
> from type '__vector __bool int'
This library is taken from mjpegtools (or maybe libmpeg2) IIRC
That problem would be solved if you can pick them instead of using the
bundled version.

Now maybe something has been incorrecly conditionalized in the code,
you really can have a look, even if you don't read ppc altivec code.

> Would somebody be able to help create a patch? I'm going to ExcludeArch ppc*
> in the mean time since 2.4.4 packages are *really* broken and 2.5 has worked
> a bit better from my tests on F11.
>From my foreign eyes, if altivec would be disabled in ADM_libmpeg2enc,
you could have a working avidemux.ppc build.