Where we are and where do we what to go?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Mar 3 07:26:37 CET 2009

On 03.03.2009 00:55, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> [...]
>  I will ask again, are you or the steering committee
> or whoever it is that is making the decision now willing to host Omega?

I for one would like to see this (from the top of my head; maybe I
forget something) before I'd be willing to say "yes":

- rediscusison of the name -- I'd much prefer something with RPM Fusion
in the name; other iirc indicated a similar opinion; but I have no
problem with Omega if that the consensus; maybe something like "Omega --
RPM Fusion's Fedora remix" makes everybody happy? In short it would be
Omega then everywhere :-)

- ideally a KDE spin as well, as I would like to prevent "RPM Fusion
ignores KDE" fame; related: the name discussion, as the basic name of
our first spin should leave room for other spins, hence your spins would
need to be something like Omega Desktop or Omega Gnome afaics

- ideally at least two people that take care of the spins that review
the work from each other a bit (IOW: we should at least basically review
spins just like we review packages);

- Fedora and RPM Fusion packages only

- where to put the stuff on the server

- what to put on the servers aka *legal considerations*: What does it
require from RPM Fusion? Do we need to host the SRPMs from Fedora to
make sure we comply to the GPL even if the Fedora server drop of the net
tomorrow?

- at least basically discuss where and how are those spins are created
-- security and trust are crucial here; and yes, I fully trust you, but
what do we do if some random Fedora fan nobody knows comes tomorrow and
wants to get his remix hosted on our server?