Experimental mplayer packages available: current code, VDPAU and VAAPI acceleration, multi-threading

Conrad Meyer cemeyer at u.washington.edu
Mon Sep 14 04:51:54 CEST 2009

On Sunday 13 September 2009 09:13:34 am Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> If we weren't so close to beta then I would accept a patched MPlayer
> package, hoping that the patch would go upstream before beta, but right
> now I consider it F13 material.
>
> > The multi-threading stuff is still fairly
> > experimental, though, I believe.
>
> Right. We can think about it for F13 soonest.

FWIW I have been using both the mplayer-accelerated and mplayer-mt packages
from Adam for the past several days on many videos without incident. They seem
to (both) work flawlessly on xvid and h264 video on my nvidia 8800GT. (I'm not
arguing they should necessarily be included in F12, but they certainly work
well for me. Before mplayer-{mt,accelerated}, I couldn't use mplayer to play
1080p h264 video on my Q6600 + 8800GT. Now I can.)

Conrad Meyer <cemeyer at u.washington.edu>