Experimental mplayer packages available: current code, VDPAU and VAAPI acceleration, multi-threading

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Sun Sep 13 18:13:34 CEST 2009

Hi!

On Friday, 04 September 2009 at 09:49, Adam Williamson wrote:
> I thought this may be of interest to the list, so I'm sharing. :)

Indeed it is, thanks.

[...]
> Thanks to Dominik, Nicolas and their predecessors for the main mplayer
> spec, on which these builds are based. Please let me know if you're
> interested in this work, guys.

I definitely am. If you post (or send to me) self-contained patches
against the current rawhide packages then I would look at them.

> For now, I'm keeping the necessary
> support packages - libva, libvdpau, vdpau-video - in the repository
> along with the mplayer builds. I have libva up for review in the main
> Fedora repos at the moment, and I know libvdpau is hung up in review
> hell while the powers that be decide whether it can go into Fedora or
> not. Once that gets into a repository, we could certainly build the main
> mplayer package with VDPAU support at least, since that was merged into
> mainline mplayer months ago.

Definitely. I had requests for including this in the packages before,
but I didn't have time to look at that yet.

> Once libva gets in, we could build with
> VAAPI support (though I suppose we might want to wait until upstream
> accepts the patch).

If we weren't so close to beta then I would accept a patched MPlayer
package, hoping that the patch would go upstream before beta, but right
now I consider it F13 material.

> The multi-threading stuff is still fairly
> experimental, though, I believe.

Right. We can think about it for F13 soonest.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."