ffmpeg plans for F-16 ?

Marcos Felipe Rasia de Mello marcosfrm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 13:42:58 CEST 2011

2011/8/1 Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at gmail.com>:
> ffmpeg has releases 0.8 which incorporates all
> changes from the libav-0.7 release, but I don't know
> if the 2 are still API let alone ABI compatible...

The FFmpeg team ensures that the 0.8 series is API/ABI compatible with
Libav 0.7.

> [...]
> So this leaves us with 3 choices, wrt ffmpeg itself
>
> 1) Stay with ffmpeg 0.7.x, updating it to 0.7.2
> 2) Move to ffmpeg-0.8.x, this will require rebuilding
> all ffmpeg using packages and since some deprecated
> API has been removed this may require more then a
> simple rebuild in some cases
> 3) Have both versions parallel installable

We will need both versions. FFmpeg 0.8 for gst-ffmpeg 0.10.12 and VLC
1.2.0 when released (MPlayer I'm not sure if support the new API). 0.7
for everything else (VLC 1.1.x, ffmpeg2theora 0.28, etc).

> And 2 options for gstreamer-ffmpeg:
> 1) Try making it use the system ffmpeg (0.8 if
> available, otherwise 0.7.2)
> 2) When 1 fails, use the bundled libav copy

gst-ffmpeg 0.10.12 will not compile with old FFmpeg API. It needs the new one.

Regards,

Marcos