ffmpeg plans for F-16 ?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 15:03:39 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 08/01/2011 01:42 PM, Marcos Felipe Rasia de Mello wrote:
> 2011/8/1 Hans de Goede<j.w.r.degoede at gmail.com>:
>> ffmpeg has releases 0.8 which incorporates all
>> changes from the libav-0.7 release, but I don't know
>> if the 2 are still API let alone ABI compatible...
>>
> The FFmpeg team ensures that the 0.8 series is API/ABI compatible with
> Libav 0.7.

Good to know.

>> [...]
>> So this leaves us with 3 choices, wrt ffmpeg itself
>>
>> 1) Stay with ffmpeg 0.7.x, updating it to 0.7.2
>> 2) Move to ffmpeg-0.8.x, this will require rebuilding
>> all ffmpeg using packages and since some deprecated
>> API has been removed this may require more then a
>> simple rebuild in some cases
>> 3) Have both versions parallel installable
>>
> We will need both versions. FFmpeg 0.8 for gst-ffmpeg 0.10.12 and VLC
> 1.2.0 when released (MPlayer I'm not sure if support the new API). 0.7
> for everything else (VLC 1.1.x, ffmpeg2theora 0.28, etc).

What makes you so sure current ffmpeg-0.7 using apps / libs
won't work with a simple recompile with ffmpeg-0.8? AFAIK
only API additions have been done, as well as some deprecated
functions removed. So if an app does not use these deprecated
functions it should be a matter of a simple recompile, right?

And if they do use those deprecated functions, maybe it can
be fixed with a simple patch?

I'm not necessarily in favor of maintaining 2 versions in
parallel.

>> And 2 options for gstreamer-ffmpeg:
>> 1) Try making it use the system ffmpeg (0.8 if
>> available, otherwise 0.7.2)
>> 2) When 1 fails, use the bundled libav copy
>>
> gst-ffmpeg 0.10.12 will not compile with old FFmpeg API. It needs the new one.

Right, but doesn't the 0.7.2 release offer most of the new API?
Perhaps that is enough?

Regards,

Hans