ffmpeg plans for F-16 ?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Wed Aug 10 17:52:45 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Monday, 01 August 2011 at 09:47, Hans de Goede wrote:
[...]
> I'm assuming we are going to stick with ffmpeg rather
> then libav, as that was a clear choice made by Dominik
> (our ffmpeg maintainer), and I assume there is no
> reason to change this, Dominik?

If someone wants to package a parallel-installable libav then I have no
objections. As far as I know they are doing some mass-renaming these
days, so it should be even easier soon.

> So this leaves us with 3 choices, wrt ffmpeg itself
[...]
> 2) Move to ffmpeg-0.8.x, this will require rebuilding
> all ffmpeg using packages and since some deprecated
> API has been removed this may require more then a
> simple rebuild in some cases

This is the preferable option for me. I'll try to find some time
to do the necessary rebuilds locally and see how it goes.

[...]
> And 2 options for gstreamer-ffmpeg:
> 1) Try making it use the system ffmpeg (0.8 if
> available, otherwise 0.7.2)

Definitely preferable.

Regards,
Dominik