build tools for EL6?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 15:00:30 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 2:58 AM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/12/13 Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com>:
>> At this point I'm not entirely sure we really need to use them. I've
>> been able to build kmods for EL6 with a tweak to my spec file and
>> building an EL6 package of kmodtool.
> That's the whole point to have kmodtool improved to support their kABI
> functionality.

I guess this is where I'm confused. What specifically needs to be
updated? From what Phil at elrepo told me, it's really not "their"
kABI, it's provided by RHEL. It guarantees a core set of kernel
symbols that will not change, and others that are unlikely to change
except on upgrades (6.1, 6.2, 6.3, etc.)

> Once done, you will even be able to enable kmod support in RPM Fusion for el.
>
> I really hope everyone understand that rebuilding every kmod for a
> given kernel doesn't work the same as fedora. Mostly because there is
> different channel where one grab the kernel update from RHN and
> another wait for CentOS/SL/whatever.

But isn't the point of the kABI so that you don't have to rebuild
kernel modules on a kernel update? We should be able to build the kmod
once regardless of kernel updates except for possible upgrades
mentioned above.

I would think that the more difficult part would be having multiple
kmods available depending on the EL version you're running, 6.0, 6.1,
6.2, etc.

Richard