libbluray soname bump

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Tue Dec 13 19:43:41 CET 2011

On 12/13/2011 06:35 PM, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> 2011/12/11 Xavier Bachelot <xavier at bachelot.org
> <mailto:xavier at bachelot.org>>:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > libbluray has made its first official release a few days ago. The
> soname was
>  > bumped to 1.0.0 just before the release, in order to make sure it's
>  > incompatible with older snapshots they have produced. The snapshots I've
>  > made and packaged for Fedora are compatible with the release, so
> Fedora/RPM
>  > Fusion packages should be fine after a simple rebuild.
>  >
>  > I would like to have a clean start with this library and have the updated
>  > package pushed to devel, but also to all currently active releases (
> F-16,
>  > F-15 and EL-6), despite the soname breakage. Now that upstream is
> ready to
>  > push releases, I think it will be easier to keep the package in good
> shape
>  > if we follow them.
>  >
>  > Affected packages are as follow :
>  >
>  > For F17 and F16 :
>  > gvfs    (fedora)
>  > mplayer (rpmfusion-free)
>  > xbmc    (rpmfusion-free)
>  >
>  > For F15 :
>  > mplayer (rpmfusion-free)
>  > xbmc    (rpmfusion-free)
>  >
>  > EL-6 doesn't have any affected package.
>
> Hello Xavier,

Hi Nicolas,

> Vlc has gained support for libbluray with Rawhide/F-17 so I'm fine with
> having it updated ASAP.
> But I expect that can wait for the new snapshot.

The updated libbluray is in Rawhide, feel free to build at your
convenience. It'll be great to have yet another media player with bluray
support.

> For older Fedora releases I'm more doubtful, is there really new
> features introduced?
> Can't we consider bluray users in need for a new version to move to f16?

Actually this is a bit of a special case. I've been using handmade git
snapshot until now, and this is the first upstream release. As such I
think it would be easier for everyone to use what upstream provides us.
I know this is somewhat against the rule to bump soname during a release
lifetime, but I feel it worths it.

As I'm writing this, I'm wondering how does one request aa buildroot
override in RPM Fusion ? This will be needed to have a seamless
transition in F16 and F15.

Regards,
Xavier