Good bye, RPM Fusion! (was: Re: Problem with infrastructure.)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 14:22:08 CET 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:19:07 +0100, Nicolas wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>

> I really hope you can revisit your position specially as this look
> over reacted about the fact that thing are actually evolved in the
> good way (we now can use fas account in cvs import script).
> I discovered this suddently and was surprise, but I miss to contact
> you about implication on bugzilla sync script. So I appologize on
> this.

Nicolas,

it's the mental distraction that's bothering me. Probably it's a weakness.

If I become aware of a problem, such as the build system causing issues,
I'd prefer one out of two things to happen: *Either* to rest assured because
I know that somebody else is (or will be) looking into the problem right
in time and that the build system is in good hands. *Or* that I can take a
look myself, especially since I've fixed lots of things in Plague before.
In both cases, I am interested in a cure that will stop the problem from
occurring again. One can sleep better, knowing that a bug is squashed or
that a new feature is available and works.
The worst-case is that hours or days pass without anyone looking into a
problem and with no one giving a status update, not even if the project's
package developers discuss issues publicly.

It's much more enjoyable (fun!) to know about responsibilities, so
e.g. one is familiar with the staff and can advise someone to "ask Peter"
(imaginary person here), who will answer *actually*.

By disconnecting, I can care *less*, and I can fight the desire to ask for
access so that I could fix something myself.

Stopping with the bugzilla syncing is not an overreaction, given that
the posts to sysadmin list have been fruitless in a long time. One way
forward could use bidirectional syncing, i.e. to bugzilla *and* also
from bugzilla back into owners.list files or some db. If there is time
to schedule an IRC meeting and probably waste an hour or more, I don't
understand why it's not possible to send brief (even one-line) comments
to a project public mailing-lists. This hasn't worked, and I don't see
a change.