[solved] make install options in dvbcut - cant get it to use the proper rpm paths

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 3 22:27:22 CET 2011

On 04/03/11 00:17, Paul Howarth wrote:
> I think the Makefile already supports DESTDIR; try using:
>
> make install \
>      DESTDIR=%{buildroot} \
>      bindir=%{_bindir} \
>      helpdir=%{_datadir}/%{name} \
>      mandir=%{_mandir}
OK, thanks guys.

I hadn't noticed the DESTDIR capability. I was reading the ./configure
--help, which mentions:
=====
Installation directories:
   --prefix=PREFIX         install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
                           [/usr/local]
   --exec-prefix=EPREFIX   install architecture-dependent files in EPREFIX
                           [PREFIX]

By default, `make install' will install all the files in
`/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib' etc.  You can specify
an installation prefix other than `/usr/local' using `--prefix',
for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.

For better control, use the options below.

Fine tuning of the installation directories:
   --bindir=DIR            user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
   --sbindir=DIR           system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
   --libexecdir=DIR        program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
=====
My most recent spec had:
make install \
     prefix=%{buildroot}%{_prefix} \
     execprefix=%{buildroot}%{_bindir} \
     bindir=%{buildroot}%{_bindir} \
     datadir=%{buildroot}%{_datadir}
     helpdir=%{buildroot}%{_datadir}/%{name} \
     mandir=%{buildroot}%{_mandir} \
, which hadn't made much difference.

Where does DESTDIR definition come from ?
Where is it normally documented ?

Thanks heaps, David.