[solved] make install options in dvbcut - cant get it to use the proper rpm paths

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Mar 4 00:30:12 CET 2011

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:27:22 +1100
David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> On 04/03/11 00:17, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > I think the Makefile already supports DESTDIR; try using:
> >
> > make install \
> >      DESTDIR=%{buildroot} \
> >      bindir=%{_bindir} \
> >      helpdir=%{_datadir}/%{name} \
> >      mandir=%{_mandir}
> OK, thanks guys.
>
> I hadn't noticed the DESTDIR capability. I was reading
> the ./configure --help, which mentions:
> =====
> Installation directories:
>    --prefix=PREFIX         install architecture-independent files in
> PREFIX [/usr/local]
>    --exec-prefix=EPREFIX   install architecture-dependent files in
> EPREFIX [PREFIX]
>
> By default, `make install' will install all the files in
> `/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib' etc.  You can specify
> an installation prefix other than `/usr/local' using `--prefix',
> for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.
>
> For better control, use the options below.
>
> Fine tuning of the installation directories:
>    --bindir=DIR            user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
>    --sbindir=DIR           system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
>    --libexecdir=DIR        program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
> =====
> My most recent spec had:
> make install \
>      prefix=%{buildroot}%{_prefix} \
>      execprefix=%{buildroot}%{_bindir} \
>      bindir=%{buildroot}%{_bindir} \
>      datadir=%{buildroot}%{_datadir}
>      helpdir=%{buildroot}%{_datadir}/%{name} \
>      mandir=%{buildroot}%{_mandir} \
> , which hadn't made much difference.
>
> Where does DESTDIR definition come from ?
> Where is it normally documented ?

It's fairly standard these days and comes "for free" with autotools
though other build systems often use it too. What you were using was
essentially what the old %makeinstall macro did, which should be
avoided if possible:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines#Why_the_.25makeinstall_macro_should_not_be_used

Paul.