libdvdcss 1.2.11

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Thu Nov 24 14:28:13 CET 2011

On 11/24/2011 01:52 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Jonathan Dieter<jdieter at lesbg.com>  wrote:
>> FWIW, I'd love to see this in RPM Fusion and would be willing to review
>> it.  I know there's some history behind the fact that it's not in right
>> now, but I don't know any of the history, so I don't know if it's still
>> applicable.
>
> If you want to see the whole thread, start here:
>
> http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2008-November/002428.html
>
> I'd be willing to maintain it but I'm not sure if anyone's changed
> their minds yet...
>
> Richard

So it seems we have both people willing to maintain it and people
willing to review it. So now we need to hear the voice of the admins and
possibly also of a lawyer.

IANAL, but there are a lot of evidences pointing to libdvdcss being
legal in France, and Livna is primarily based in France. I'm not sure
what can be considered as the primary location for RPM Fusion, but
download1.rpmfusion.org is also located in France. Also, the upstream
for libdvdcss is located in France too.

Some links (in french, sorry for non-french readers) :
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libdvdcss
http://www.april.org/fr/articles/communiques/pr-20080730.html

The legal page on videolan.org (both english and french) :
http://www.videolan.org/legal.html

It might worth noting that RPM Fusion distribute libaacs and there was
no real discussion on the legal aspect although I explicitely mentionned
this point as well as the status of libdvdcss.Here's the start of the
discussion :
http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2010-July/008109.html

Food for though, let's discuss.

Regards,