kmods for video graphics

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Oct 18 09:06:20 CEST 2011

Kevin Kofler wrote on 18.10.2011 08:31:
> Sérgio Basto wrote:
>> To much work or a "common" user don't know that.
>> A "common" user, wants that updates be automatic.
>> As these "common" users and I just use stable versions and use it on
>> work. Normally, we don't have any trouble with any update.
>> And this trouble is not easy to solve.
>> First , know that computer don't boot and hangs on start X because
>> missed kmod, and you need switch to VT , when it is possible ...
>
> A "common" user surely does NOT want to:
> * install a compiler toolchain,
> * install kernel development headers,
> * wait on system boot for the kernel module to compile and

Especially on slow systems such as netbooks!

> * deal with any resulting errors, because some kernel API changed and the
> akmod was not updated for it.
>
> akmods are the wrong solution for the average user, binary kmods are the
> correct solution. Building software from source on the user's machine in a
> binary distribution is an ugly hack, not a solution for anything.

But the current solution is still far from perfect and users way to
often run into problems -- IOW, there is lot's of room for improvements.
For example, we could have a small script or yum plugin that could get
called on kernel install that could check the repos on the master server
or the testing repos for matching kmod packages for example. That's not
to hard, but I never got around to implement it/lost interest over time.