kmods for video graphics

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Oct 18 08:31:09 CEST 2011

Sérgio Basto wrote:
> To much work or a "common" user don't know that.
> A "common" user, wants that updates be automatic.
> As these "common" users and I just use stable versions and use it on
> work. Normally, we don't have any trouble with any update.
> And this trouble is not easy to solve.
> First , know that computer don't boot and hangs on start X because
> missed kmod, and you need switch to VT , when it is possible ...

A "common" user surely does NOT want to:
* install a compiler toolchain,
* install kernel development headers,
* wait on system boot for the kernel module to compile and
* deal with any resulting errors, because some kernel API changed and the
akmod was not updated for it.

akmods are the wrong solution for the average user, binary kmods are the
correct solution. Building software from source on the user's machine in a
binary distribution is an ugly hack, not a solution for anything.

        Kevin Kofler