replacement builder needed

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 15:13:31 CEST 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM, David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 24/10/11 05:02, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure there are some technical hurdles but a distributed approach
>> may keep us from having to come up with a dedicated builder.
>>
>> What does everyone think?
>
> I wouldn't mind doing so, but I don't think the machine side is that hard
> from the sound of it. More problematic is how to provide enough bandwidth,
> and total usage. Do we have a feel for the BW / monthly data usage side of
> the equation ?

I have no idea... I know on the download side my 3MB DSL seems to be
"enough". I do a lot of test building in mock and it does a good job
of caching packages. On the upload side though It's pretty bad.
384Kbit, and I can only allow about 200Kbit or DNS resolving gets VERY
slow.

If we can get distributed building working though, I might be willing
to upgrade my service a bit.

I'm proposing we start working on a package, called something like
"rpmfusion-builder" to make setting things up as easy as possible.

Can someone (Jarod?) reply with a summery of what's involved in setting one up?

Thanks,
Richard