replacement builder needed

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:17:30 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2011, at 9:13 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:

>>> I wouldn't mind doing so, but I don't think the machine side is that hard
>>> from the sound of it. More problematic is how to provide enough bandwidth,
>>> and total usage. Do we have a feel for the BW / monthly data usage side of
>>> the equation ?
>>
>> I have no idea... I know on the download side my 3MB DSL seems to be
>> "enough". I do a lot of test building in mock and it does a good job
>> of caching packages. On the upload side though It's pretty bad.
>> 384Kbit, and I can only allow about 200Kbit or DNS resolving gets VERY
>> slow.
>
> Well, there really isn't *that* much to upload, so even if its slow, meh. At least,
> that's my take right now. I don't really have any idea how much there is to
> upload though, or how long it takes. I haven't had any network issues that
> resulted from it, but my uplink speed is several orders of magnitude higher
> than 384Kbps.

I checked on upgrading to business class DSL so I can stop violating
my TOS. Price wise it's fine. BellSouth is running a deal I can get
6Mbit DSL for $30/mo+tax for a year, which is cheaper than what I'm
paying now. The downside is it only gets me 512kb up.

>> If we can get distributed building working though, I might be willing
>> to upgrade my service a bit.
>>
>> I'm proposing we start working on a package, called something like
>> "rpmfusion-builder" to make setting things up as easy as possible.
>>
>> Can someone (Jarod?) reply with a summery of what's involved in setting one up?
>
> Can't entirely recall. There's not a huge amount to it though. Its a fairly
> minimal el6 install, add plague, koji and mock, and configure them (along
> with the necessary firewall holes for the plague and koji client daemons).

Is is EL required? If so I'll have to run it in a virtual machine
which adds a layer of complexity.

Richard