Building kmod/akmod package spec file question

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 16:27:09 CEST 2011

2011/10/28 Nicolas Viéville <nicolas.vieville at univ-valenciennes.fr>:
> Hello list,
>
> For my first participation in packaging, I'm trying to make a spec file
> for the 5.100.82.38 wl-kmod package in F-15. While the review process I
> had a question about building the akmod package and how to proceed.
>
> After reading:
>
> - http://rpmfusion.org/Packaging/KernelModules/Akmods
> - http://rpmfusion.org/Packaging/KernelModules/Kmods1
> - http://rpmfusion.org/Packaging/KernelModules/Kmods2
>
> I've set the "buildforkernels" macros section of the spec file to:
>
> #define buildforkernels newest
> %define buildforkernels current
> #define buildforkernels akmods
>
> This make the new akmod package built for the current kernel. Once the
> akmod package built, if I correctly understood the documentation, I have
> to revert it to:
>
> %define buildforkernels newest
> #define buildforkernels current
> #define buildforkernels akmods
>
> This have to be kept until the next new upstream release of the wl-kmod
> needs an new akmod package to be built.
> In other words, if I understand correctly the documentation, maintaining
> kmod/akmod package involves providing two versions of the spec file in

Hi Nicolas,

You only need to switch to current each time you make a modification
to the spec that improves the module for a given kernel.
Buildforcurrent implies that an akmod-foo package will be built.
I take care of the switch for newest when a new kernel arise, so you
don't need to take care of this. But just remind to switch back to
current when you make an improvement.

Usually we push version changes when a new kernel hits stable updates
in fedora, so users are already advertised to reboot.
This is usefull, specially when there is a hard dependency between the
userland application and the kernel module (broadcom isn't concerned
IIRC).

Does that answear your question?
Please build the wl-kmod and broadcom-wl packages only in devel for
now because we are still in the middle of the branching for F-16. (you
can cvs-import for both devel and F-16, but only build from the devel
branch).

Thx