akmods: You think I would have learned my lesson with avidemux :)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 19:28:00 CEST 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

>> Sounds like for the time being we need to go with the safest
>> (earliest) point for the time being.
>
> Right.
>
>> Does prefdm fit this requirement?
>
> I'd say no, Prefdm is one of the latest services being started.
>
> It may suffice the graphics driver case, it's very likely much too late for
> other modules, because services before prefdm will require activated kmods
> to be able to start up properly (printer drivers. network drivers (consider
> ldap/nis-based authentication, nfs-based-autofs etc.)

I might see if I can get Lennart to chime in on this problem. I can
think of a couple of ways to solve this dilemma but they're dependent
on what exactly systemd can handle.

What we need is some way for an akmod package to tell systemd when it
needs to run and have systemd understand that it should run on the
earliest requirement of all installed akmod packages and ignore the
rest.

Richard