akmods systemd support

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 23:41:48 CEST 2011

2011/9/27 Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com>:
> If no one pipes up I'm going to assume silence means agreement. :)
>
> Along those lines I think I have several of the akmods bugs taken care
> of so I'll probably build packages at least for devel/rawhide soon for
> testing since they need to be pushed out to users regardless of the
> systemd conversion.
>
> Any brave souls want to test it out?
>
> Richard

I don't know how many akmod users really built their modules at the boot step.
Akmods is supposed to "trigger" a packaged kernel installation and
rebuilt the specific akmod packages, so in "most ?" situations, the
modules are supposed to be already available on early boot if not in
initramfs.
This will probably not work when kernel is not packaged or packaged in
a way that doesn't know /etc/kernel/* scripts.

On the opposite side, we could still consider to build the module on
stop and implement a fallback to deselect the latest kernel if some
modules fail to build for any reason.

The problem with the build on boot is that if something goes wrong,
it's probably already too late and it is very annoying to recover from
there. But It can still be possible to reload prefdm or the network
and that should cover the most case when the build succeed.

So I think only the akmods package should have an units file for now
and see how it goes and if using a specific unit for each akmod really
worth it.