Any interest in sox with MP3 support?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 21:09:44 CET 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at gmail.com> wrote:
> The standard we've come up for this, is to do 2 packages:
>
> sox-plugins-freeworld
> sox-plugins-nonfree
>
> Which would then have subpackages like this:
> sox-plugins-freeworld
>  sox-plugins-freeworld-mp3
>  sox-plugins-freeworld-ffmpeg
> sox-plugins-nonfree
>  sox-plugins-nonfree-amrwb
>  sox-plugins-nonfree-amrnb
>
> The main packages could then either completely not
> exist (ie no %files only %files mp3 and %files ffmpeg), or
> could be empty except for Requiring all the sub packages
> for easier installation. With a slight preference
> for the later.

Hmm... Currently sox fails to build with the ffmpeg in F16 so I
haven't included it yet. Also, even if we did, I'm not sure there's
much value in breaking it out into individual packages. I would think
it unlikely that someone who wants MP3 or ffmpeg support is going to
be too worried about the extra dependency overhead of the other.

So maybe just sox-plugins-freeworld and sox-plugins-nonfree?

Richard