introducing 3e-calendar

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon May 12 03:44:34 CEST 2014

On 05/11/2014 10:35 PM, Michal Altmann wrote:
>>> BTW, I'd guess that unless you have some contacts the real bottleneck here
>>> is to become sponsored. Your goal here is to package this particular sw.
>>> However, becoming sponsored normally needs much more activity than that,
>>> sponsors sponsor people after they have been active in much more than just a
>>> single package. Also, it's sometime easier to get sponsored in Fedora than
>>> in rpmfusion, but then you need to submit more packages. See [1]. Note that
>>> if you're sponsored in Fedora this applies also to rpmfusion.
>>>
> Can you specified "much more activity" please?

Not really, my impression is that it depends on the sponsor  which
eventually might look into this. There is input on this in [1]
> We would like to
> package this software that consists from 4 separate packages and we
> are ready to contribute by other packages, for example, we would like
> to add Metalog that is not coded by us.

Before this is over, you would probably also need to contribute by doing
informal reviews of other packages, as described in [1]. It's a question
of demonstrating that you know the Guidelines.
> I thing that we have no chance to get sponsored directly in Fedora
> because of non-free software as we found in guidelines. Maybe with 3rd
> software such as Metalog.

Yup, that how it worked for me once in a time.
> I have a question about form of spec file for binary package. I am
> thinking about fixed dist and arch field. It is the right way to
> create SRPM directly for the target system, that can run the binaries
> ? What Ferdora release are you prefere for the first review ?

You're  better off using Rawhide i. e., the upcoming Fedora 21 .
Depending on if/when this is completed, you might want to add a F20
version (current release) as  well. This is really nothing you code into
the spec, it's handled when you check it in into the VCS system (which
is good o'l CVS on rpmfusion, git on Fedora). In those there is a
specific branch for each Fedora version,  so the differences such as the
different sources is reflected there.

The differences in this case between F20 and rawhide/F21 should normally
just be one or two macro definitions unless you are using some cutting
edge functionality which isn't available in both versions. You should
try to make the spec as generic as possible, it helps a lot when
maintaining it later.

Cheers!

--alec

[1]