ffmpeg-2.4 released

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 06:50:58 CEST 2014

W dniu 22.09.2014 o 05:35, Ralf Corsepius pisze:
> On 09/21/2014 11:20 PM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
>> On Dom, 2014-09-21 at 19:03 +0200, Julian Sikorski wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> ffmpeg-2.4 was released recently which means we have another rebuild
>>> coming up. I have done a test and only 4 packages have failed, which is
>>> not bad given the extent of API changes:
>>> - alsa-plugins-freeworld: pcm_a52.c:101:45: error: 'struct a52_ctx' has
>>> no member named 'frame'
>>> - dvbcut: lavfmuxer.cpp:63:57: error: 'av_new_stream' was not declared
>>> in this scope
>>> - kmediafactory: videofile.cpp:74:45: error: 'av_find_stream_info' was
>>> not declared in this scope (mencoder needs to be rebuilt first)
>>>   - vlc: configure: error: libavcodec versions 56 and later are not
>>> supported yet.
>>>
>>> Given that we are close to branching (?), what would be the good time to
>>> do the rebuild?
>>
>> yes, I don't see any problem, I can do the mass rebuild of others
>> packages, no problem.
>>
>> My question if we ever put this updates on F20 ?
>
> No. If I understand correctly, this is an API/ABI incompatible upgrade
> and not an ordinary update. This means, unless there are very good
> reasons (e.g. security critical bug fixes), which make such upgrades
> inevitably necessary, such upgrades are harmful and should not happen.
> Keep in mind, people might build other packages based on your packages,
> which might break because of your upgrade.
>
>> I'd like put it at
>> least on update-testing.
> Sorry, but this can't work.
>
> Ralf

I tend to agree with Ralf here. Having said that, I believe we should do
something about F-20. It is currently tracking ffmpeg-2.1 branch, which
seems to be unmaintained [1]. Looking at the API changes [2], updating
to 2.2/2.3 should be relatively painless.

Best regards,
Julian

[1] http://ffmpeg.org/olddownload.html
[2] http://upstream-tracker.org/versions/ffmpeg.html