ffmpeg-2.4 released

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Mon Sep 22 16:57:30 CEST 2014

On Seg, 2014-09-22 at 06:50 +0200, Julian Sikorski wrote:
> W dniu 22.09.2014 o 05:35, Ralf Corsepius pisze:

> >> yes, I don't see any problem, I can do the mass rebuild of others
> >> packages, no problem.
> >>
> >> My question if we ever put this updates on F20 ?
> >
> > No. If I understand correctly, this is an API/ABI incompatible upgrade
> > and not an ordinary update. This means, unless there are very good
> > reasons (e.g. security critical bug fixes), which make such upgrades
> > inevitably necessary, such upgrades are harmful and should not happen.
> > Keep in mind, people might build other packages based on your packages,
> > which might break because of your upgrade.
> >
> >> I'd like put it at
> >> least on update-testing.
> > Sorry, but this can't work.
> >
> > Ralf
> >
> I tend to agree with Ralf here. Having said that, I believe we should do
> something about F-20. It is currently tracking ffmpeg-2.1 branch, which
> seems to be unmaintained [1]. Looking at the API changes [2], updating
> to 2.2/2.3 should be relatively painless.

Hi, as you may know, I have some difficulties in deal with foreigner
language (English). IIUC , upgrade to ffmpeg-2.3 in F-20 , also have
API/ABI incompatible.
Of course I'm not saying put ffmpeg-2.4 in F-20 without testing ,  2.3
is tested on F-21 Alpha , I have 2 machines and one vm , and don't found
any bug .
For me is fine put ffmpeg-2.3 / x264-0.142 in F-20 updates-testing , but
as Ralf point out, we are breaking some rules .

--
Sérgio M. B.