orphaning mame-data-extras

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 07:49:48 CEST 2015

W dniu 07.10.2015 o 17:59, Sérgio Basto pisze:
> On Qua, 2015-10-07 at 07:50 +0200, Julian Sikorski wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> please be advised that I am orphaning mame-data-extras. This package has
>> become too much of a burden to maintain with monthly mame releases one
>> one hand and various files included in it lagging behind the mame
>> releases on the other. Not to mention that it was in violation of
>> code-vs-content guideline.
>> I will be putting a dead.package in devel branch in about a week from now.
>
> GMAMEUI
> Requires: mame-data-extras
> # to load /usr/share/mame/Catver.ini and /usr/share/mame/cheat.7z
> these files will disappear ?

Yes, they will no longer be packaged. I doubt they are required for the
frontend to function, they rather "improve the experience". If users
want them they can download them themselves:
- http://cheat.retrogames.com/ for cheat.7z (at 0.163 atm)
- http://www.progettoemma.net/?catlist for catver.ini (at 0.161 atm)
- http://www.progettosnaps.net/renameset/ for alternative catver.ini

These two files perfectly exemplify the pain in supporting them as a
package: they have alternative upstreams and are not updated every time
new mame comes out. The new rapid release schedule has only made the
issue worse.