RPMFusion and downstream

Chris Smart csmart at kororaproject.org
Wed Jun 15 13:29:36 CEST 2016

Hi all,

By request, following up a conversation I started on IRC...

I run Korora[1], a Fedora Remix which relies heavily on RPMFusion, so
firstly, thanks for all the great work. I think it has been taken for
granted RPMFusion is there - the issues around the 23 release made me
realise that.

Ultimately I've been thinking more about the role that RPMFusion plays
and I feel that it's really essential to the Fedora ecosystem - without
it, we wouldn't be able to provide a decent user experience or "compete"
with other distros.

It needs to become a first-class citizen somehow, however I doubt that
Fedora will ever officially take on the RPMFusion role, although there
have been some changes in Fedora with ideas like supporting third party
repos and even including metadata for non-free and patent encumbered
free software which might change the landscape a bit.

That brings me to the upcoming 24 release and whether projects like
mine should be doing more to help RPMFusion get across the line.. any
thoughts?

I know that RPMFusion is in the middle of a transition to new
infrastructure.

Is there perhaps a case to be made for stripping back RPMFusion to some
more core packages, to focus on quality and delivery, then re-building
out? Or do we have all the devs ready and waiting to go once the new
infra is ready?

Thanks!
Chris

[1] https://kororaproject.org