was -> wasn't Re: [VirtualBox] Use systemd-detect-virt to detect if we can install

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Tue Nov 29 22:16:42 CET 2016

On Tuesday, 29 November 2016 at 19:46, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Ter, 2016-11-29 at 14:17 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
> wrote:
> > could you explain the idea here? Why was there an explicit Conflicts:
> > before and why is it better to fail the transaction if you're not
> > running inside VirtualBox or KVM?
> It is a long story, bug reports about this [2]. With this solution
> (which took sometime to figure out), we can install VirtualBox-guest
> and VirtualBox in a vm guest [1] I think in middle of bug 3425 , I
> realize that the root of the problem is we can't install VirtualBox-
> guest-additions in master (host) system because breaks X11, etc .
> So instead use an artificial rpm conflicts, BTW the solution *wasn't*
> made my me, it was already there when I arrived, I check in %pre if
>
>    $(systemd-detect-virt | grep -iP "oracle|kvm" -c) -eq 0
>
> if systemd-detect-virt doesn't say that is in one oracle or kvm vm , I
> don't let package (VirtualBox-guest-additions) be installed .
>
> I also check kvm because in epel7 vbox vm, systemd-detect-virt says
> that is in kvm instead oracle ...
>
> From now on, we may install VirtualBox and VirtualBox-guest-additions
> under a vm , that is the main goal of this change .
>
> Have you any suggestion or something where I can improve ?

Ok, I read bug 3425. You shouldn't forbid installation of
VirtualBox-guest-additions on bare metal by failing in %pre.
I still don't understand why it can't be installed. From what was
written in the bug report, you only need to make sure that either
bothi vboxvideo kmod and X11 driver are present or none of them.

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org
"Faith manages."