libdvdcss in RPM Fusion ?

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Tue Sep 6 12:43:40 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 05/09/2016 15:56, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 9:10 PM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com
> <mailto:kwizart at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     > As a package maintainer and end-user, I think it'd be valuable to have
>     > libdvdcss in RPM Fusion.
>     >
>     > If there is some concern about mirroring, though, perhaps we could
>     create a
>     > *third* repository for this sort of even more dubious package?
>     Which I guess
>     > at the moment would just be libdvdcss and anything that depends on
>     it. Then
>     > mirrors that don't / can't ship it simply don't mirror this
>     additional repo.
>
>     That reminds me how openh264 is dealt with in fedora.
>     Can anyone sum-up the existing methods used by various distro about
>     this issue ?
>

> I did a little research.

Thanks for the research, this is much appreciated.

> libdvdcss is Mageia Tainted repository, an official Mageia repository
> that hosts packages that they may infringe on patents and copyright laws
> in some countries. E.g. most multimedia codecs are shipped in this
> repository.

Mageia is backed up by a French non-profit organization (just like RPM
Fusion).

> It is included in Arch Linux, in the extra repository (i.e. non core
> packages).
>
> libdvdcss is not included in Debian, Ubuntu and SUSE.
>
> Debian users must use Debian Multimedia repository - which is not part
> of the Debian project but it is maintained by Debian developers or
> maintainers and therefore it seems similar to RPM Fusion.
> https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-multimedia/libdvdcss.git/tree/debian
> <https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-multimedia/libdvdcss.git/tree/debian>
>
> Debian multimedia also provides libdvd-pkg. `dpkg-reconfigure
> libdvd-pkg` may be used to build and install  libdvdcss* package(s).
> https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-multimedia/libdvdcss-pkg.git/tree/debian
> <https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-multimedia/libdvdcss-pkg.git/tree/debian>
>
> This package is also provided in Ubuntu 15.10+ and it must how their
> users must install libdvdcss:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs>
>
> Debian/Ubuntu uses can also use a VideoLAN repository to install libdvdcss:
> http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html
> <http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html>
>
> VideoLAN also hosts a repository for SuSE users which includes libdvdcss.
>
> Libdvdcss is already packaged for Fedora in Remi's RPM repository and in
> United RPMS.
> http://rpms.famillecollet.com/fedora/24/remi/i386/repoview/libdvdcss.html <http://rpms.famillecollet.com/fedora/24/remi/i386/repoview/libdvdcss.html>

The problem with Remi's repo is it ships much more than just libdvdcss,
and at least some of the packages it ships will replace packages from
Fedora.

> http://unitedrpms.sourceforge.net/x86_64/repoview/libdvdcss.html
> <http://unitedrpms.sourceforge.net/x86_64/repoview/libdvdcss.html>

Is United RPMs here to stay or was that a temporary workaround while the
RPM Fusion infra was worked on ?
Sérgio, maybe ?

> Summarizing, these are the methods we can implement:
>
>  1. ship libdvdcss in the free repository
>  2. ship libdvdcss in a newly created repository
>  3. ship a package that can build and install libdvdcss in the free
>     repository

I'd like to add :
3.5 : use RPM Fusion for SCM and build, but ship the binaries from
elsewhere (ala openh264 in Fedora, built in Fedora infra, but shipped
from Cisco)

>  4. don't ship libdvdcss and refer to another (non RPM Fusion
>     maintained) repository
>
> Maybe we should ask various RPM Fusion mirror maintainers what they
> think about and what is their preferred method to ship libdvdcss.
>
> Bye,
>
> Andrea

Regards,
Xavier