still problems with updating kernels + nvidia drivers

Xavier Hourcade public.oss at xapaho.com
Mon Nov 12 03:45:56 CET 2012

> I am using the standard nvidia kmod on f17.  I was surprised today, when
> doing yum update, that I got a new kernel installed without the
> corresponding nvidia kmod.

If you cannot use the akmod package but need the kmod one, and also need
to accept package updates from fedora without reviewing them first,
then, maybe you could exclude kernel* until review ?

> I thought this was fixed long ago?

I don't think "this" is a piece of software, and each time I noticed
kmod was *yet* in stable, hence inviting me to exclude *nvidia* or
retrieve kernel from UPT, to the opposite I felt pretty thankful to
"Leigh, Nicolas & Co. Inc." for being so quick :)

(and mirrors might be at play too)

> Shouldn't the deps be setup to prevent this from happening?

Is it achievable with deps ? Could a distinct, concurrent kernel being
installed from fedora, which does *not* depend on kmod from rpmfusion,
require a given version of kmod if and only if kmod is installed ?

Isn't akmod meant to solve this -- otherwise scripting yum ?

> I know how to rescue my system, but many users might not.

Yes still, very popular request for help on IRC :s