still problems with updating kernels + nvidia drivers

Xavier Hourcade public.oss at xapaho.com
Mon Nov 12 04:30:28 CET 2012

> finally switched back to using the neuveau drivers which work just fine
> for my needs.

And finally, me too : nouveau was always entirely unusable and very
unstable on this hardware (the "legendary" overheating 8600M GT, see
nvidiadefect.com && wikipedia), up to and including 3.4.7 kernel at least.

With 3.6.6-1 (or earlier), all these nouveau bugs affecting this card
seem to be fixed now, video and opengl look great, xrandr works, system
is even significantly cooler *and* more reactive than with nvidia
driver, which was already "just fine for my needs"... 5-10º and 20%, how
can ? Day 2, counting ;-)