MythTV on el6: tuner support

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 17:57:24 CEST 2013

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 8:45 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> Hi:  I've been happily using the ATrpms repo for more than 8 years, but it
> feels like time to test the water over here.
>
> I have a laptop now running under ScientificLinux 6.4, with kde 4.10.2 and
> Qt 4.8.4 from the kde-unstable repo, and MythTV 0.26.0-7.el6 from
> rpmfusion.  Some parts of the recent installation process weren't planned,
> but to my surprise the system seems to be working well.

I'm glad the package is working for you! I had an issue with CentOS 6 so
gave up and went back to Fedora, which is a pity  I was really looking
forward to not having to upgrade my MythTV as frequently.

One part of the working system is still from Atrpms.  MythTV under the
> current SL6 kernel doesn't recognise the tuner - a PCTV 290e dvb-t/t2 usb
> device - so I'm running an earlier kernel with video4linux driver package
> and kmdl from ATrpms;  the last sync with linuxtv was in Nov 2011.
>
> In browsing the rpmfusion repo I haven't recognised packages that might
> provide this functionality.  What am I missing?

Nothing really. The problem is that the v4l package in RHEL/CentOS is very
old, but unlike ATRPMs, RPM Fusion has a policy, like Fedora EPEL, of not
providing packages that already exist in the upstream (or EPEL)
repositories. I don't completely understand the relationship between the
driver, library, and utility packages, but you can reference this BZ bug I
submitted some time ago for more information. Thus far, RH has declined to
update the v4l package.

Richard