[F17] Any idea when nVidia 310.19 will be added to RPMFusion repository?

Jon Danniken danniken at q.com
Tue Jan 8 10:38:05 CET 2013

On 01/08/2013 12:37 AM, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> 2013/1/8 Jon Danniken <danniken at q.com>
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone knows if/when the nVidia 310.19 driver will be
>> added to the RPMFusion repository for Fedora 17.  I have read that it is
>> possible to install this driver and akmod/kmod manually, but to be
>> honest, I'm not at the stage in my Linux development to be comfortable
>> in doing that yet.
>>
>> So, my hope is that it will be added to the RPMFusion repository, but
>> I'm wondering when.  Any ideas?  Will it even *be* offered through
>> RPMFusion?
>>
> The problem is that this driver drop support for cards from the geforce6/7
> series.
> So we need to create a separate branch of driver as 304xx and to replace
> the main serie with that for compatibility.
> Then we will introduce latest stable driver with a new nvidia-latest serie.
> That way geforce6/7 users will not update to a driver that doesn't support
> their hardware.

Hi Nicolas, and thanks.  It makes sense to limit the availability of the
new driver to  systems with compatible cards. I'm actually kind of
surprised that hardware isn't already taken into account when
determining package availability, but I'm still learning.

> We will also rework the driver a little, so that's the remaining part of
> the problem, then there will be a package review.

Thank makes sense, too.  What kind of ballpark would be reasonable to
guess at?  Maybe a few/several months or so, or longer?

Thanks again,

Jon