MythTV: optional dependencies for MythArchive

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Mar 4 19:35:09 CET 2014

The MythArchive plugin for MythTV can make DVDs from TV recordings.  I
have used it for several years with the optional java-based ProjectX as
a robust demultiplexer and m2vrequantiser as a shrink-to-fit utility.

It seems that m2vrequantiser is available as a package from rpmfusion,
but that package is based on source code from 2003.  I do not know how
much it is used but I have heard of problems with it.  I use use a
version based on later code released by the same company which is
available here:

https://launchpad.net/m2vrequantiser/

The download includes a README.txt, and in my experience it 'just
works.'  I believe that, if rpmfusion is to offer a package, it should
be based on this one.

I am not sure about redistributing ProjectX;  I understand that Ubuntu
do so, but their version is at present too old to work properly with
MythArchive.  The most recent GNU tarball is available as a download
from the foot of this page:

http://project-x.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/project-x/Project-X/

Build with build.sh,
and I run the job with 'ionice -c3 java -jar ProjectX.jar  <options>'

John P